Senior Software Engineer, Recommendations
Engineering / Remote (Vancouver)
Share job post:
Do you want to use your software engineering expertise to re-imagine how users can find the best, most relevant content to read?
Flipboard is a content discovery platform for your passions, interests, and news. Available on web, iOS, and Android, Flipboard offers the world important and influential articles shared by the greatest publishers and our awesome Flipboard community to advance conversation, keep people informed, and inspire them to engage, learn, and lead.
At Flipboard we are re-imagining how people consume news and information in the world. The Recommendations team deals with billions of daily signals to help users in the face of information overload by:
– Producing feeds tailored to users’ interests while adhering to sound journalistic principles
– Connecting users and recommending articles, videos, topics, magazines and commerce
– Using a wide range of data-driven techniques drawn from machine learning, collaborative filtering, natural language processing, psychology and old-fashioned straight-up product design
The team is based in Vancouver, Canada and fully remote during the pandemic. We have a flexible work from home policy and are open to hiring remote engineers close to Pacific Timezone, preferably in Canada.
- Work with an interdisciplinary group of engineers, data scientists, designers and editorial staff to scale and develop our content recommendation products
- Own the full model lifecycle: from research and implementation to production and refinement
- Participate in data collection, analysis, distributed architecture, algorithm development, product design and mentorship
- Run experiments to draw insights and inform further worthwhile pursuits. The systems you build will scale to millions of daily active users
- Have substantial independence and responsibility from Day One
- Minimum 5 years of relevant industry experience
- Highly proficient in at least two of Python, C++, Java
- Mathematics foundation, with experience in Recommender Systems, Machine Learning or NLP
- Experience with large-scale distributed architecture and implementation
- Self-starter with excellent communication skills
- Enjoys R&D and working on open-ended problems without clearly defined solutions
- Passion for distributing high-quality, truthful and balanced content
- Bonus: AWS engineering experience
- Bonus: experience with digital advertising systems
Benefits & Perks
- Canada: Our benefits include vision, dental, life, health insurance, “Employee and Family Assistance Program”, plus eligibility to participate in our pension plan with an employer match.
- USA: Our benefits include vision, dental, life, and health insurance, plus 401K with an employer match.
- All Locations: Flexible hours and generous ‘out of office time’ for holidays, vacations, sick leave, relaxation & wellness, personal and family needs | Team celebrations: company anniversaries, birthdays, Thanksgiving, weddings/babies –– you name it, we celebrate it!
- We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity and inclusion at our company.
Why Join Flipboard?
- Our vision: At a time when society could really benefit from being more informed and inspired, we are enabling great stories to reach the right communities around the world.
- Our team: Led by experienced CEO, Mike McCue, the Flipboard team is a positive, respectful, and diverse group of bright and highly capable people who work collaboratively with strong purpose and vision. The Flipboard team is headquartered in downtown Redwood City, CA in the beautiful SF Bay Area. Although our roots lie in the Silicon Valley, our team extends around the world: New York City, Chicago, Los Angeles, Seattle, Vancouver, and London.
- Our culture: We value an environment and culture that encourages people’s voices and perspectives to be heard. We believe that leveraging our team will lead us to create better products and services for all our users and partners. We value diversity and inclusion at Flipboard and are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.
- Our value: We are fully funded and making steady, meaningful progress on a premium, high margin business within a $600B, highly strategic market. Our business model is tightly aligned with our values, our partners and our user experience which makes our company both valuable and unique.
- Our product: Millions of people truly love Flipboard and rely on it regularly. Flipboard is a standard bearer for great mobile design, innovation, and we deeply value craftsmanship.
- Our platform: Our platform selects the best content from thousands of publishers around the world, organizes it into highly personalized feeds, and presents it for further curation by the community. We are driven by hard technical challenges and we value pioneering new technology to continually increase the power, efficiency and scale of our platform.